The Ascension did not happen on the Monday following Easter/the Resurrection. However, I believe it is very important that we understand that after Jesus’ RESURRECTION he remained on earth for 40 additional days to teach HIS disciples more. After the 40 days he told them that the Holy Spirit would come to them. They were to wait on HIM so they could do all that Jesus did …. and MORE.
Here is an awesome song to bring you into a moment of praise with your Lord. It is “I’ve Just Seen Jesus” by Larnelle Harris and Sandy Patti….. may you be richly blessed through HIM.
At the Ascension, and after the 40 additional days that Jesus was on the earth, HE was taken up to heaven for the last time (Acts 1:9-11). As the disciples watched HIM go, two angels appeared and declared to them that, just as HE ascended, Jesus would return in glory.
When we put the accounts from the scriptures together we discover that after His resurrection, Jesus appeared several times to His disciples and others. During this time, He spoke to them further about the kingdom of God and the coming of the Holy Spirit, for whom they were to wait (Acts 1:2-9).
God is in EVERY detail of this HIS wonderful WORD of HOPE. HE does not use ONE extra word that does not need to be there. HE is our HOPE. HE is our REDEEMER. HE is our REFUGE. HE is our HIGH Priest. HE made the FINAL BLOOD SACRIFICE FOR OUR SINS. HE is all we EVER NEED.
Regardless of what any of us are going through … GOD IS IN CONTROL AND HE HAS A PURPOSE. Some things we bring on our selves .. somethings simply happen …. yet through it all … HE IS LORD OF LORD AND KING OF KINGS. HE HAS made arrangements for US to spend life to the full while we are on earth (if we BELIEVE in and remain FOCUSED on HIM) AND…. so we may eventually spend ALL eternity with HIM.
The significance of the Ascension (whether a church celebrates it or not is NOT the point…. the Word tells us it happened!!) It reminds us of several things:
- The glorious and triumphant return of Christ in HIS resurrection.
- That HIS second coming, HIS final return is near.
- The Kingdom of God is within our hearts, and God writes HIS Word upon our hearts now (rather than on tablets of stone).
- The ever-present Holy Spirit WHO lives within us, is watching over and protecting us as we GO and spread good news of the Gospel to all the world.
- Because of Jesus’ Resurrection, the Holy Spirit dwells within us and we have the FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT growing inside of us.
- The fact that Jesus was resurrected from the grave and ascended to the right hand of the Father is the source of our hope (1 Peter 1:3).
We know that all who BELIEVE in Him and ask HIM by FAITH into their hearts to be the Lord and Savior of their life, will one day be with Him in heaven….. forever and ever… AMEN!!
Sharing HIS love and rejoicing in FAITH at thought of HIS second coming
Christ has RISEN!! Death where is your sting?? HE holds the keys over death and hell!! (Revelation 1:18)
Listen to “Arise My Love” by NewSong
THIS day…. THIS event… is the ENTIRE basis of our FAITH. Do you BELIEVE with all your heart that Jesus ROSE from the dead? Do you believe that HE was born of a virgin, walked as a man on this earth BUT WAS STILL GOD, performed many miracles, was falsely accused, was totally pure and innocent of any and all sin, was betrayed, was tortured, hung on a cross, stabbed in HIS side, buried in a new tomb, and on the 3rd day HE rose again????
ABSOLUTELY I DO!!! HOW do I KNOW this is THE ONLY TRUTH?
- Besides the complete inerrancy in the Bible
- Besides the Historical Documents that prove the Bible is true
- Besides the complete New Creation God has made in me
The Resurrection IS the KEY. It Proves Jesus is the Incarnate God. The Messiah!
Now end with this….
What is your purpose? Not sure? What is the first thing the Risen Lord says after the Resurrection?
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
We call that the Great Commission.
The TOMB is EMPTY!!! The Stone was rolled away!!! JESUS IS ALIVE 🙂
Sharing HIS RESURRECTION love,
NOW … go share HIS love with your friends and family…. it is a day of CELEBRATION!!! PUT a smile on your face and GO 🙂
Click here for today’s readings in Isaiah 52-53 and John 19
Today is Saturday. Today is the Jewish Sabbath…. It was The Sabbath at the time of Jesus’ death and it is to this day!! Maybe you will have a chance to review some of what happened to Jesus from yesterday. It was a LOT to take in!! Jesus’ betrayal began Thursday late evening and very early on Friday morning eventually leading to HIS death at 3:00pm yesterday. Although I covered a lot of ground yesterday there were a few additional things I wanted to touch on concerning the trials Jesus went through during The Passion.
I pray you have the opportunity to read the readings today, and allow them to bathe you in peace, and wisdom. Isaiah is NOTHING BUT prophesy …. John and the other gospels… show all that happened to Jesus as prophesy fulfilled!!!
More details about the trials:
The trials before the Jewish authorities:
- Showed the degree that the Jewish leaders HATED HIM, because they carelessly disregarded their OWN laws!!
- Jewish law stated NO trial was to be held during feast time!! GUESS WHAT DAY THIS WAS???? It was the PASSOVER!!!
- Each member of the court was to vote individually to convict or acquit, but Jesus was CONVICTED simply by overwhelming affirmative vote by cheers, shouts, or applause … NO INDIVIDUAL votes!!
- If the death penalty was given, a NIGHT must pass before the sentence was carried out …. But ONLY a few hours passed before Jesus was placed on the cross!!!
- The Jews had NO AUTHORITY to execute anyone!!!
- NO trial was to be held at night…. All of this took place before dawn!!!
- The accused was to be given representation … but Jesus had none.
- The accused was not to be asked self-incriminating questions!!
IS THAT NOT TOTALLY AMAZING!!! It was time!! God’s PERFECT timing!!
Trials before the Roman authorities:
- The trials before the Roman authorities, as I said yesterday were like a “game” of “hot potato!!” Jesus had already been beaten before he was brought before Pilate!!! The charges before the Roman authorities were different from HIS religious charges…. Inciting people to riot, forbidding the people to pay their taxes, claiming to be King.
- Pilate found NO reason to kill Jesus so he sent him to Herod
- Herod had Jesus ridiculed …. But did not want the political liability and sent him back to Pilate.
- Pilate tried to appease the crowds of Jews by having Jesus scourged (cat of nine tails). The maximum number of scourging a Jew could receive was 40 … Jesus received 39!! In a final effort .. Pilate offers up Barabbus for the release of Jesus… but the crowd of JEWS… screamed… CRUCIFY HIM!!! CRUCIFY HIM!!!
When Jesus cried out: “IT IS FINISHED” This is translated from the Greek word “tetelestai” and is an accounting term for “PAID IN FULL”. According to the BLB it states: “Christ satisfied God’s justice by dying for all to pay for the sins of the elect. These sins can NEVER be punished again since that would violate God’s justice. Sins can only be punished once, either by a substitute or by yourself.” I CHOOSE THE SUBSTITUTE…. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!! By the way… when the BLB states “the elect” … it is speaking of “for WHOSOEVER WOULD BELIEVE IN HIM… SHOULD NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE..” (John 3:16). I THANK GOD THAT I Am a WHOSOEVER!!!
Jesus was assigned a grave with the wicked, (the two criminals with him) BUT ended up with the rich in his death thanks to the kindness of Joseph of Arimathea.
John 19:38-42 states:
“Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jews. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. Taking Jesus’ body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs. At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid. Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.
Jesus came to us in a virgin’s womb and was buried in a virgin tomb!! THAT my friends is NOTHING but GOD!!
The day following Jesus’ death was THE SABBATH!!! NO BODIES were supposed to be hanging on any cross on the Sabbath!!! I believe God used this to encourage the leaders to say yes to Joseph of Arimathea!!
Can you imagine the tenderness and compassion both Joseph and Nicodemus felt in their hearts? Can you imagine what they SAW as they prepared HIS shredded, swollen, bloody, almost unidentifiable body for proper burial in an virgin (unused) rich man’s tomb!!! ??? In all probability they had to put HIM back together because HIS skin had to be hanging off after the cat of nine tails!!! Isaiah 53:14 says: ”Just as there were many who were appalled at him—his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness—“ They lovingly and humbly touched HIM, prepared HIM for burial, and wrapped HIM. Keep in mind that by touching anything dead this meant they would be unclean and have to go through the cleansing process before they could offer any sacrifices on the Sabbath. I am confident they were heartbroken as well as honored to be doing this for HIM. WHAT am image of love and devotion not only from Joseph and Nicodemius … but especially from Jesus in every action HE took upon HIM FOR US!!
My prayer for you is that your heart, your eyes, your mind, every part of your being will be opened to all that God has in store to bless you with on Resurrection Day. Something you will read in the Word will touch you in a way you have never been touched before … straight from the Holy Spirit. EXPECT IT!! And when it happens send me a comment on the blog or via email. I love to hear how God is working in the lives of others 🙂
Sharing HIS pure, unconditional, AGAPE love