Click here for today’s reading http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel%207-9&version=NIV
WOW – SO much to take in and I wish I could truly grasp it all, but I’ll just jump in and share what I can to see if we can understand it a little more (line upon line, precept upon precept.) I would love to hear what the Lord has shown you as you have searched HIS Word.
Interestingly, this chapter chronologically takes place BEFORE “the writing on the wall.” In the three chapters we read today we read Daniel’s dream, Daniel’s vision, and Daniel’s Prayer. Daniel’s dream of the Four beasts represent the 4 Gentile Nations again. This is another prophecy with great detail like Nebuchadnezzar’s dream. His dream was from a political perspective; Daniel’s is from a MORAL perspective.
- LION: Babylon (next time you read Jeremiah 4 and 50 or Ezekiel 17 you can now note the Lion and say ohhhhhh I get it.)
- BEAR: Medo-Persia. The bear was raised on one side which is probably the dominance of Persia. The 3 ribs in the bears mouth was probably the 3 empires it consisted of ( Babylon, Egypt and Libya)
- LEOPARD: Greece. It had 4 heads and 4 wings representing with Alexander the Great died the 4 generals appointed to 4 providences. Ptolemies, Seleucids, Antigonids and Attalids. (this all happens later, During the 400 years between the Old Testament and the New Testament much of God’s work still happens. The story of the History that unfolds is not part of the Bible but the exact prophecy of it all happens with pinpoint accuracy.)
- BEAST: Rome. Ten Horns are the 10 kings that will rise from this kingdom and a little horn (Antiochus) is the little horn. (Antiochus is a forshadow of the AntiChirst)
(Note these match the statue from the Head to the 10 toes)
REWIND– Just a little recap— after the 70 years in exile (prophesied and fulfilled), King Cyrus conquered Babylon (also prophesied and fulfilled.) Regardless of whether you look at the animals listed in Daniel’s vision or you look at the statue, you KNOW that this Cyrus must be from Medio-Persia. Cyrus will release all the Jews so they can go back to Jerusalem. When they are released only a few actually chose to leave Babylon and return to Jerusalem (remember an entire generation had already passed during their exile and captivity.) Alexander the Great, from Greece, will enter the picture and conquer what seemed to be EVERYONE and spread the Greek culture to everyone (this movement is called Hellenism.) We know from the prophecies that Rome will take over. Note that these prophecies have a real time meaning of what is to come within Jewish History AND an Eschatology (end times) of events that will come in the last days. The little horn here of Antiochus is a king representing the foreshadow of satan! This little horn is connected in Scripture in Revelation and is satan, which sets the stage for the Messiah to come.
Finally, “the one like a son of man,” is the Prophecy of Jesus the Messiah coming to save all and to have an Everlasting Kingdom.
CHAPTER 8 – Daniel is standing in his vision. He can interact with the Vision to say “what in the world is all this??” CLEARLY God is too much for our finite minds. The interpretation of this vision is exact with the statue and animals, but this time with more detail to layer on top. The absolute best argument that the Bible could ONLY be written by God, through man’s hand is the exact revelation of prophecies fulfilled to the smallest of detail.
CHAPTER 9 — Daniel’s prayer. I have printed several copies of his prayer so when I am unsure how to pray….I can read Daniel’s prayer….so powerful!! What makes this prayer more “answerable” than other prayers? Consider these points: (these points are repeated from my mentor’s submission from last year and came from a John MacArthur commentary in case you want to listen to more.)
- Daniel KNEW God’s Word. He spoke of Jeremiah’s timeline of 70 years of captivity. Daniel was able to pray IN THE WORD because HE KNEW THE WORD. Daniel knew the direction his nation was headed from reading the scriptures. Do you?
- Daniel prayed that prayer ACCORDING to God’s Will. Do you?
- Daniel Prayed with the UTMOST respect and reverence for the Lord and with COMPLETE recognition of his own unworthiness of even being in the presence of the Lord. Do you?
- Daniel prayed in a “we are sinners” heart but focused on the needs of the others in prayer.
- Daniel prayed that the ULTIMATE purpose of an answered prayer was for ONLY God’s Glorification. DO you?
This prayer is so powerful for me…to keep me on the right track and make sure I am praying in a way that is pleasing to God. I am also VERY touched by the fact that Gabriel came to Daniel to let him know his prayer was heard from day ONE but there was intense spiritual warfare happening in the heavenlies causing delay in the answer. This reminds me of how important it is for each of us to put on the armor of God described in Ephesians 6:11-18 ….daily put it on!! Also remember that the glory of the Lord is our rear guard!! (Isaiah 52:12).
The 70 7′s — I know all the Bible is God inspired but this chapter is special. Isaac Newton said “we could stake the truth of Christianity on that prophecy alone, made 5 centuries before Christ; referring to the 70 7′s!! When I first read about Sir Isaac Newton, I was so touched that he believed in our God…so many scientists don’t believe in God today.
A 7 equals a year (a complete number) so 70 times 7 is 490 years. The Lord put a timeline for the Israelites to Finish Transgressions, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring everlasting righteousness, and to fulfill the prophecy. Are you ready for this SHOCKER….. 69 years have ALREADY OCCURRED!!! The stopwatch on the 69 STOPPED when Jesus gave his life on the Cross. We are NOW waiting on the last one. When will the stop watch start again?? There is ONE last part to this, and the last one is a 7 of 7. So what does that mean…it is talking about the 7 years of Tribulation! When will the 7 year Tribulation start?? Look again at verse 27—
“He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering.” (He is referring to the antichrist in case you were wondering who the he was.)
In other words….he will sign a peace treaty with the Israelites and that will BEGIN the last 7!!!
Do you watch the news (doesn’t matter which station?) Have you heard about all that is happening just this week with Israel, Iran, the US, and the nations of the UN? PLEASE don’t misunderstand I certainly can’t tell you when the 2nd coming will occur…..nor can anyone else. The authors of the NT thought they were living in the last days so none of us really know WHEN…we just know HE WILL. Jesus said in Matthew 24:36-44
“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father…Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come…So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect Him.”
So we cannot know when HE will return….BUT we are to “keep watch…..be ready.” And the best way I know to do that is to READ, STUDY, MEMORIZE, the WORD and keep a close relationship with the Lord. Be involved in a solid bible based church, in small groups or bible studies to be surrounded by other believers. He has promised to provide us all we need, and sooooooo much more.
Sharing HIS love,