Click here for today’s readings in Isaiah 52-53 and John 19
Today is Saturday. Today is the Jewish Sabbath…. It was The Sabbath at the time of Jesus’ death and it is to this day!! Maybe you will have a chance to review some of what happened to Jesus from yesterday. It was a LOT to take in!! Jesus’ betrayal began Thursday late evening and very early on Friday morning eventually leading to HIS death at 3:00pm yesterday. Although I covered a lot of ground yesterday there were a few additional things I wanted to touch on concerning the trials Jesus went through during The Passion.
I pray you have the opportunity to read the readings today, and allow them to bathe you in peace, and wisdom. Isaiah is NOTHING BUT prophesy …. John and the other gospels… show all that happened to Jesus as prophesy fulfilled!!!
More details about the trials:
The trials before the Jewish authorities:
- Showed the degree that the Jewish leaders HATED HIM, because they carelessly disregarded their OWN laws!!
- Jewish law stated NO trial was to be held during feast time!! GUESS WHAT DAY THIS WAS???? It was the PASSOVER!!!
- Each member of the court was to vote individually to convict or acquit, but Jesus was CONVICTED simply by overwhelming affirmative vote by cheers, shouts, or applause … NO INDIVIDUAL votes!!
- If the death penalty was given, a NIGHT must pass before the sentence was carried out …. But ONLY a few hours passed before Jesus was placed on the cross!!!
- The Jews had NO AUTHORITY to execute anyone!!!
- NO trial was to be held at night…. All of this took place before dawn!!!
- The accused was to be given representation … but Jesus had none.
- The accused was not to be asked self-incriminating questions!!
IS THAT NOT TOTALLY AMAZING!!! It was time!! God’s PERFECT timing!!
Trials before the Roman authorities:
- The trials before the Roman authorities, as I said yesterday were like a “game” of “hot potato!!” Jesus had already been beaten before he was brought before Pilate!!! The charges before the Roman authorities were different from HIS religious charges…. Inciting people to riot, forbidding the people to pay their taxes, claiming to be King.
- Pilate found NO reason to kill Jesus so he sent him to Herod
- Herod had Jesus ridiculed …. But did not want the political liability and sent him back to Pilate.
- Pilate tried to appease the crowds of Jews by having Jesus scourged (cat of nine tails). The maximum number of scourging a Jew could receive was 40 … Jesus received 39!! In a final effort .. Pilate offers up Barabbus for the release of Jesus… but the crowd of JEWS… screamed… CRUCIFY HIM!!! CRUCIFY HIM!!!
When Jesus cried out: “IT IS FINISHED” This is translated from the Greek word “tetelestai” and is an accounting term for “PAID IN FULL”. According to the BLB it states: “Christ satisfied God’s justice by dying for all to pay for the sins of the elect. These sins can NEVER be punished again since that would violate God’s justice. Sins can only be punished once, either by a substitute or by yourself.” I CHOOSE THE SUBSTITUTE…. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!! By the way… when the BLB states “the elect” … it is speaking of “for WHOSOEVER WOULD BELIEVE IN HIM… SHOULD NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE..” (John 3:16). I THANK GOD THAT I Am a WHOSOEVER!!!
Jesus was assigned a grave with the wicked, (the two criminals with him) BUT ended up with the rich in his death thanks to the kindness of Joseph of Arimathea.
John 19:38-42 states:
“Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jews. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. Taking Jesus’ body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs. At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid. Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.
Jesus came to us in a virgin’s womb and was buried in a virgin tomb!! THAT my friends is NOTHING but GOD!!
The day following Jesus’ death was THE SABBATH!!! NO BODIES were supposed to be hanging on any cross on the Sabbath!!! I believe God used this to encourage the leaders to say yes to Joseph of Arimathea!!
Can you imagine the tenderness and compassion both Joseph and Nicodemus felt in their hearts? Can you imagine what they SAW as they prepared HIS shredded, swollen, bloody, almost unidentifiable body for proper burial in an virgin (unused) rich man’s tomb!!! ??? In all probability they had to put HIM back together because HIS skin had to be hanging off after the cat of nine tails!!! Isaiah 53:14 says: ”Just as there were many who were appalled at him—his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness—“ They lovingly and humbly touched HIM, prepared HIM for burial, and wrapped HIM. Keep in mind that by touching anything dead this meant they would be unclean and have to go through the cleansing process before they could offer any sacrifices on the Sabbath. I am confident they were heartbroken as well as honored to be doing this for HIM. WHAT am image of love and devotion not only from Joseph and Nicodemius … but especially from Jesus in every action HE took upon HIM FOR US!!
My prayer for you is that your heart, your eyes, your mind, every part of your being will be opened to all that God has in store to bless you with on Resurrection Day. Something you will read in the Word will touch you in a way you have never been touched before … straight from the Holy Spirit. EXPECT IT!! And when it happens send me a comment on the blog or via email. I love to hear how God is working in the lives of others 🙂
Sharing HIS pure, unconditional, AGAPE love